Friday, May 31, 2024

Getting ready to go...

      The few days that we've been home have been... well, they've been a lot.  Not only did it take the eight hours to move pictures from my phone to my computer, but my computer eventually crashed and David had to reformat and rebuild it, meaning I've needed to then put everything back on it. The transferring of photos, this side of the rebuild, continues to be a problem, but the rest seems better, at least for now. Then, on David's car (the I3), the door stopped latching and would not close. We took it in and were told that, though the car itself is now only worth about 6K because of age, it would cost us 5K to have it fixed.  Obviously, makes no sense.  So we are now a two car family for the five of us. It's ironic: we have had every expectation for a while now that the Mazda and/or the Camry would die.  Both are quite old and truly on their last legs.  The I3?  It's a 2016, which for us is a "new" car.  It never occurred to us that it would have an issue which would make it no longer worth fixing.  I think being down to two cars will be fine: Jonah and Aislynn are usually in school, David works from home, Jasmyn is in on-line grad school and my work is close enough to home that we probably don't need more than two cars. Still, taking the car in, having it assessed, cleaning it out, selling it back to BMW (for a pittance, since it is broken, after all) took time. Then both Aislynn and Jasmyn had doctor's appointments for various issues, which meant blood needed to be taken from young adults who have serious needle phobias and for whom the taking of blood is very traumatic. They needed me with them, therefore, something I wanted to do anyway.  My own issues with my knee and toe have also meant doctor's visits, more X-rays, filling of prescriptions, and more. The cat who has thyroid issues also needed rechecking and obtaining more medication. We are needing to take out a loan, and the paperwork has yet to be signed, though we leave tomorrow.  This has involved many phone calls and trying to push things forward.  I've realized I need a couple important items for our trip: the Camino part of it, in particular, and have been running around to different stores trying to obtain them.  All of this is in addition to packing, trying to figure out how to take the needed things for various different parts of the trip while still having room for David to bring home some of Jonah's things from Norway so Jonah and I can walk the Camino with minimal "stuff."  There is more... some of which is very personal to family members that I cannot share, as well as the normal living activities of grocery shopping, paying bills, showing the kids what will need to be done around the house while we are gone...  Needless to say, it's been exhausting and overwhelming.  

       I have found myself wondering how we usually get everything done when I am working full time. I suppose everything would be spread out more. We wouldn't be as rushed in terms of the loan or emptying and selling the car, or getting all of us through our doctors appointments, for example.  But in a weird way I'm looking forward to the trip just so things can slow down.  

      Still, add to this that I am an anxious traveler.  My mind fills with the possible problems: what if a flight is delayed so we can't catch the connection?  What if there's an accident and we are unable to get where we need to be for each part of the trip?

    Once again, I'm being pushed to look at and stay with what really matters. Time with the kids matters. Space to just be matters. Being in the garden with the plants matters. Mostly, just being in the moment matters. If problems happen during our travels (and no doubt they will: nothing ever goes completely as planned), then we will have an adventure. We will figure it out and no doubt learn some things. If we end up in Europe without something we need, we will probably be able to buy it there, or if not, we will learn to live for a time without it. We will be on a journey.  And in the meantime, I need to just breathe deeply and be present with my beautiful young adult children before we leave. 

And just because...



    

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to hearing about your adventures with Jonah! Looking good Lefty!

    ReplyDelete