Wednesday, July 10, 2024

And so it goes...

     As I've written before, I was unable to spend my time on the Camino, per my sabbatical plans.  Then, returning home, I've found that the last part of my sabbatical, which was supposed to be fixing up my own garden, has also been "sabotaged" in many ways.  First, the expense, even with dental insurance, of dealing with the infection in my tooth and jaw was extreme, which has made the buying of plants and mulch difficult.  Secondly, the excessive heat has also meant that while I can go outside for an hour or so in the morning, that really just allows me to do maintenance on what is already there.  Anything I would plant right now would have a hard time surviving, and my time outside is limited by my ability to endure the heat.  

    At any rate, all of this has caused me to do some serious reflection on the very nature of my life, and probably, all lives.

    Things don't go as planned.  Again, I can really only talk about my own life here.  But I've had dreams and plans, big and small, and very rarely have any of them gone the way I wanted or even expected.  Examples:

    I thought I would be married fairly young, but in fact wasn't married until I was 29.  I also didn't expect trauma, betrayal, divorce, or any of that, but no one ever does.

    I thought I would be a missionary; working for justice and empowerment overseas.  In fact, I really wasn't very good at that work when I tried it so that did not pan out.

    Then I thought I would settle into a home and raise my kids and be a permanent active part of a community throughout my life.  In fact, the longest I've ever lived in a home as an adult is 8 1/2 years, and that is my current home.  Before this, the longest we'd been in a house was 6 years. And I've lived all over: from the Southwest to the South to the Midwest and back here to CA.  

    My vacations have rarely gone as planned.  When Jonah and I planned a hiking trip to Yosemite, the car broke down on the way there.  On a family trip to Tahoe, Jonah and David had to return early for a school requirement we didn't know about until the last minute.  Another trip to Tahoe, I had to return because of a church situation.  And these stories go on.  As a matter of fact, this problem with vacations never working out the way they are planned is so consistent for me that I was certain before we left that something would go wrong.  As you know, it did.  I don't know why, then, I was so upset by it.  I mean, I expected it at some level, but just hoped so deeply that I was wrong and it would all work out.  

    As I said, small things, big things...

    But as I've sat with this, I've also remembered that many things have worked out better than I expected.  I've made friendships where they weren't expected.  I've connected with people who have shown up in my life in truly unexpected ways.  David was a surprise, a very good one.  I've also had surprises in my career.  I didn't expect to be asked if I wanted to co-moderate the Presbytery, for example.  That was a wonderful surprise!  All my jobs as a musician: not one of them have I applied for: they have all come to me, been offered to me, and each one has been a wonderful gift allowing me to play piano and do other things musically, and to experience the joys of doing so.  My job at Bethel came as an incredibly wonderful surprise, working with Sarah was a gift that has continued to give, even though neither of us are at Bethel any longer.  My job at St. Andrew's was also full of incredible surprises: the people and their care and generosity being number one.  The opening at Clayton Valley was a great surprise and getting the position here has been a wonderful gift. Having a publisher reach out to me repeatedly to publish my blogs into a couple books was also an amazing, wonderful surprise, as was being asked to write devotionals for These Days for a couple weeks.  The list goes on!

    Can we weigh these things?  I don't know that that would be helpful.  But I'm back to feeling that what I'm being called to do, both with this time and with the situations that have arisen in my life is to look for what is good, to look for what is beautiful.

    I've needed to name for myself, honestly, that I can tend to focus more on the negative, when there are good things all around.  My personality does not sit in the good as much as it struggles with the challenges.  But I have some choice in this.  I know gratitude is always a gift, and it is one that lifts spirits, brings joy, and helps us connect more fully with God, with Love, with Beauty.  So, as always, my lesson in this remains to spend the time each day that calls for me to reflect on what has come that has been good, that has been surprising but also gifting, where God has been and continues to be in my day, in my life.  

    Three weeks of Sabbatical left... and I am going to be intentional about this time.  It will go quickly!

13 comments:

  1. Barbara you certainly touched me with you music. I miss playing music with you every day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Barbara, traversing this thing called life a few years ahead of you, I can honestly empathize with everything you have written about. As I have had a lot of time to reflect the last nine days as I content with Covid, so much indeed can get me/one down. This has been the fifth year in a row where really nothing has gone as anyone would plan, believe, or want. I’m even tired of saying, God has a sense of humor! Alas, I was finally able to open a book, after complaining I have no time to read. So there is that. But through it all, I wouldn’t be “here” without my beloved family (mom/daughters/brothers) and friends. With music, faith, & lots of love, we endure. We still hope, laugh, and find snippets of happiness wherever & whenever we can—with intention. Thank you for your endless sharing, your vulnerability, & your passion for all that you do! Your many gifts have touch the many of us who have been blessed enough to know you. When I get back over to Walnut Creek (I am still in OR), let’s share face to face— whether we laugh or cry together, we find strength through one another. Bless you always, Barbara! And here’s to a better today…and tomorrow!! You are loved! πŸ«ΆπŸ»πŸ’Ÿ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I look forward to getting together when you are back here.

      Delete
  3. I sometimes think GoD doesn't just plonk us somewhere out of our convenience. I think He helps us stick up for ourselves when things getting sticky. So while the stickiness is a complaint, it's what and how we deal with that stickiness that develops our character not the plonkness of the situation. So, here's to plonking πŸ€“πŸ˜…-S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I believe that we are definitely invited to grow through the challenges.

      Delete
  4. I find that I can hold a grudge when things don't go as planned for the big picture aspirations I had with life. It is the hardest thing for me to let go of. And it tends to darken my perspective. I try to be present And aware of the present joys....perhaps this is because we can see the past but not the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Was it John Lennon who said life is what happens when we were making other plans? I, too, struggle with the challenges, including my anxious nature. I'm blessed to have a husband who regularly reminds me of the good. Fortunately for us, it's always there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you have him! David does that for me as well.

      Delete
  6. You are a wonderful human being and pastor Barbara. I just want to send you a sincere friendly hug.

    ReplyDelete