Monday, July 15, 2019

What is Justice?

Amos 8:1-12, Luke 10:25-37

In light of these scriptures and in light of other scripture what is your idea of justice?  What do you believe or understand justice to be? 
We’ve all experienced injustice.  And I thought I would start today by reading you a letter I wrote to Jasmyn when she was almost three years old.  Before I read this I need to tell you that she was a very tiny child.  The doctors believed she would remain a “little person”.  When she hit 4’8” they said she was done growing.  She surprised us all by jumping another 6” that same year to hear gigantic height now of 5’2”.  But this was unexpected.  When she was little she was truly tiny.  That’s the context for this letter.
My dearest Jasmyn,


Sunday was a hard day.  You were invited to the birthday party of your little friend, who was turning three.  The party was a great extravaganza of food, noise and play as lots of little almost-three and just-barely-three year olds took over the house, running, eating, laughing and playing, and mostly, you had a good time.  In one corner, your friend's mother had invited a friend to do face painting with the children.  You all stood in line, some more patiently than others, waiting your turns to be turned into a lion, a butterfly, or anything else your hearts desired.  You, my daughter, ended up at the very end of the line, but you patiently waited.  As we stood there, you excitedly watched your friends’ faces being painted and you told me over and over, “I want to be a tiger!  I’m going to be a tiger!”  Finally, you got to the front of the line.  The face painter turned to you and with a firm quickness proclaimed, “She’s too little, she’ll be too wiggly.” And she grabbed her paints and began to close them up. 
I was stunned.  So stunned that it took me a minute to respond.  “Jasmyn is the same age as these other children!” I proclaimed.  The woman took one look at you, my tiny, elf-faced daughter and brushed me off, “No, she’s not.  She won’t be able to hold still.”  And, with me arguing, begging and shouting protests as she packed up, she left.
It took me a minute to get the full effect of this.  But after reassuring you and offering to buy some face paints myself to make you into a tiger, the anger that moved inside of me made me cry.  As I stood there talking to you, my little daughter whom I love more than my own life, I realized that this was undoubtedly the first of many experiences you will have in your life where you experience discrimination because of your size. 
Yes, Jasmyn, you are small.  On the growth charts you are somewhere under the second percentile, meaning that 98% of the children your age are taller and heavier than you are.  In addition, you are quiet and do not “show off” your speech, so strangers cannot judge your age by listening to you.  You are also smart.  Smart enough that you got the full effect of what happened.  For the last two days I have heard over and over from you, “The woman with the paint wouldn’t make me into a tiger because she said I was too small and would be too wiggly.  She painted Moira’s face.  She painted Lauren’s face.  She wouldn’t paint my face.”  Yes, you got it.  But you’re not yet wise enough to understand that it was not your fault.  You are not yet worldly enough to get that this was not really about you, but about a woman’s prejudice.  Not old enough to feel okay about this event. 
What can I say to you, my daughter, to ease the pain of this?  To make it okay that you are small?  To tell you that I know you are not wiggly and can hold still and that the woman was prejudice and blind?  You are so young.  I did not want you to experience this kind of thing at such a young age.  But this is the world we live in.  Welcome to the world, my daughter.  There is blindness and cruelty out there.  And you will not be immune from it, even at the young age of “almost-three.”
As I’ve reflected on this, I’ve had some time to think about what other people go through and I realize that we are lucky.  Yes, my daughter, you are small.  But you can learn to stand up for yourself; you will have to.  And when people realize you are older than you look, smarter than you look, I expect they will treat you more fairly. 
Not so with racial prejudice.  Not so with prejudice against the poor or the immigrant.  Not so with gender discrimination.  Not so for those with disabilities.  People suffer real discrimination, racism, sexism, heterosexism, classism, ageism, from the hands of fearful, prejudiced people.  Sometimes people are kept from work because of their appearance, sometimes they suffer cruelty beyond imagination because of their ethnicity, sometimes they die because people are afraid of them, don’t understand them, condemn them.  For some, they cannot afford to get upset every time they experience discrimination, fear or hatred because it is part of their everyday life.  We are lucky, my daughter.  We don’t experience much prejudice.  We do not know what it is to be judged everyday by our skin color or our accents when we talk.  I assume my privilege, which is why I have the luxury to become angry when someone mistreats you, Jasmyn.  When something like this happens, it angers me.  It is also a reminder of just how fortunate and privileged our lives really are.
Where is God in this?  We know where God is: God is with Jesus, talking to the woman, offering the Samaritan water, touching the “unclean.”  God is also with us, inviting us to do as Jesus did, to postpone judgment, to walk unafraid.  God is inviting us to create a new world where these situations are rare for everyone, where everyone can stand up and be counted and treated as a child of God, worthy of respect and love.
So what can I tell you, my daughter?  Even these very early experiences are an opportunity to learn to stand up and say, “No, I will not be treated as less-than.”  But I also want you to learn from this how we should be towards others who may experience pain in the world.  It is not enough to say, “I will not let you do this to me.”  We must also say, “I will not do this myself.” And even, “I will not let you treat my brother or sister in this way.” 
Yes, my daughter, you were judged unfairly.  Remember this and choose to act differently.  There is another way to be in the world.  There is a God who created you beautiful and who loves you regardless of size, race, appearance.  God calls you to be part of recreating a world where all are treated fairly.  Jesus calls us to see and know and mostly, to love.  The Spirit gives us the strength to walk unafraid in the world, with openness and compassion. 
I love you, my daughter.  I am sorry you were treated unfairly.  And yet I hope for you it will help you know your God - a God who does know you, who does love you, and who does want all the best things for you - a God who would paint you a tiger, if that is what your heart so desired.


It is from this place, of having experienced injustice, as all of us have at one time or another, that I call us now to look at the ways in which we are called to live lives of justice.

For Amos, like Micah and almost all the prophets, the profound call was and is for us to act with justice.  Amos states that our worship is meaningless, pointless, even hateful - if not accompanied by justice.  Amos tells us God is angry with injustice.

But again, what does it mean to do justice?

A few decades ago Princeton seminary decided to really test its ministerial candidates.  All of the candidates had to walk through a specific tunnel on their way to one of the class rooms.  On the day of the final exam for the class, the dean “put” an “injured” person in the tunnel whom all of the students would need to pass by on their way to their final.  The result?  What we would probably consider a shocking number of students - 70% of these ministerial students did not stop to help the man because they were worried about being late for their final. What would you have done?  Like the priest and the Levite in the story of the Good Samaritan, like the people Jesus and Amos condemned, sometimes like us, these people failed to do justice.  We can see that.  We can see what it is to miss the justice boat.

But still, in our every day living, it can be harder to see how to act with justice.  As I understand justice, there are several things that are required.

I’ve shared with you before about the incredible documentary, “The Color of Fear?”  This movie documents a group of men from different ethnicities and cultures who gathered together for a weekend to talk about racism. One white man who was present spent the most part of the weekend fighting hard against the idea that racism was real.  In the face of the stories of deep pain, isolation, limits on opportunities, and cruelty that the men of color around him were sharing, he kept saying to them, “Why do you have to see yourselves as different?  We’re all the same.  Why can’t you just be like me?  You’re imagining any oppression.  No one really cares what color you are.”  No matter what the other men in the room told him, he could not hear their real experience of racism, of invisibility, of abuse.  Finally one of the men said to him, “What would it mean to you if what we are telling you about our experience were true?”  The man looked startled for a moment.  Finally, he answered, “It would mean that the world isn’t as safe or beautiful as I had thought...And it would mean that I was part of the problem.”  With those words he began to cry. 

It hurts to see.  But I believe the first part of justice requires opening our eyes, being courageous enough to see the world’s injustices, to believe the pain that others experience, and even harder, to look honestly at our part in contributing to the injustice in the world.  In what way do we, in our own corners, in our relationships with the hurting neighbor that no one likes and therefore no one speaks to contribute to the pain and injustice in the world?  In what ways do we refuse to listen to or stand up for our children, for family and therefore become part of the injustice that they experience?  In the larger world, in what ways do we contribute to injustice, by the choices we make about the products we use, buying things without thought that were made by children paid a penny a day?  By the choices we make in the food we eat, in the choices about who we vote for - will this candidate lift people out of oppression and injustice, or will this candidate support the status quo and contribute to greater inequality in the world?  We are first called to see the pain in the world and own our part in its injustice.

At one church where I served,  we were part of a community of churches that provided food, showers, haircuts, community fellowship, resources for getting one’s life back together, clothing and a variety of other services and goods.  Through this work and through our time with the homeless people in our community, we developed a very close relationship with one homeless man in particular.  This man was very loving, very giving, very caring.  He began attending our church and when he did so, he offered to run our sound system, he helped with the gardening, he was always on hand to help us in any way.  He was not unintelligent, but he was a severe alcoholic who could not seem to get through the disease to a place where he could give up drinking.  He would give it up for a week or two and then something would happen and he would be drinking again.  We saw him fight for his life against this disease and we saw him losing the battle.  For awhile he lived on the church campus, but we, too set boundaries around his drinking behavior and when he could not live up to them, he could no longer stay on the church campus.  Still, he understood our need to protect the children and families who came to the church and so he continued to be an active member of our community, and we continued to provide care, love and support within the boundaries.  At one point however in our relationship with George, he had a seizure while walking along the street, fell and hit his head.  The police found him hours later and took him to the local hospital.  His injuries, especially to his brain, were very serious and he was admitted for long term hospitalization and rehabilitation.  However, when the nurses and doctors at the hospital came to understand that he was a homeless, jobless, resource-less man, they gave up caring for him.  He remained at the hospital for quite a while, because he was unable to walk a straight line, he could not speak clearly and had very little control over his movements.  But in large part he was at the hospital for so long because they would not provide the care to get him to a place where they could discharge him.  The people of the church loved George for the gentle caring soul that he was, and it broke all of our hearts to see our brother in faith, our brother in Christ, our neighbor, the neighbor Jesus calls us to care for, treated in this way.  But the only time that George received any attention – the only time he would be brought his meals even – was when one of us was there to insist on it.  We paid what we could to the hospital, but this church was mostly made of working class families and retired folk on fixed income, and we simply did not have the resources to pay for better medical care for our brother.  Still, we brought him food.  We sat with him.  We fought for him with the medical personnel.  We cared for him.

The second thing justice requires is , then, is loving and caring for those we can touch who cannot care for or speak for themselves- reaching out to those right in front of us who are in need, whether they be a family member, a friend, a neighbor, a community member, a homeless person, or a stranger on the street.  Like with the story of the Good Samaritan, whomever God places in front of us: that is the most important person at each moment: that is the one we are called to serve and love.  But justice doesn’t end there.

Doing justice also means taking the risk, stepping out of our comfort zones to confront and challenge the status quo.  It is hard, it is challenging.  And yet, we are required by our love of God, by our love of neighbor.  Mostly, we are called by God’s love for us to do nothing less.  Because we will never be whole until our brothers and sisters find justice.  We, too will be lessened, we too live in injustices as long as they exist.

I am reminded of a poem by Pastor Martin Niemoller:

First they came for the Jews

and I did not speak out

because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for the communists

and I did not speak out

because I was not a Communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists

and I did not speak out

because I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for me

and there was no one left

to speak out for me.

Justice is remembering that we are all connected.  This takes us back to the very first story that I told about my daughter.  We are called to live lives of justice out of love and gratitude.  We often find that love from a place of remembering our own pain.  Because justice is about living out our deep connections to all others, by knowing our pain and then by seeing the pain of our brothers and sisters, our neighbors, even our enemies and then by being willing to own our part in the worlds’ pain and being willing to change it.  Justice is acting with love and compassion for those in front of us.  Justice is standing up against the status quo even for those we will never meet.  Justice is knowing that while I do this out of love for you, in serving you, I serve myself because without your justice, there is no justice for me; without your peace, there is no peace for me; without your wholeness, I too am broken.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment